May the words of my mouth and thoughts of my heart find favor before You - O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. ^Psalm 19:14

7/10/2010

.a servant

“I have rightfully no other business each day but to do God’s work as a servant, constantly regarding His pleasure. May I have grace to live above every human motive, simply with God and to God.” ^Henry Martyn (missionary to India)

What does it mean to be a servant? Yeshua says, "But the greatest among you shall be your servant" (Matt. 23:11). I find myself thinking about so many - in the Christian population - that I come in contact with...and how mediocre they are. Many haven't ever read the whole Bible (or continue to read it), they rarely pray (and I am talking about not just before you eat....), so who can recognize them as believers? Many times I can't. How can the Lost get found and know that He is Lord when God isn't sanctified by the people already called by His name?


Matthew 25:40 and James 1:27 are so important! That is what it means to serve. And that is what I want to become. I want to be known.......as a servant.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an encouraging post, my sister in Christ! Thanks so much for sharing this exhortation. It made my day :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felicia,
    I was reading Katie's blog and saw the link to yours. I so enjoyed your post in the past that I was eager to click on over here...
    And I was not disappointed!
    Thank you again for sharing!
    I loved this quote. It is SO true! I do not have any other business each day but to serve the Lord! I think of this daily but then still TOO OFTEN slip back into 'autopilot' where I just do the next thing......
    "May I have grace to live above every human motive, simply with God and to God.”
    That is the goal of my life!
    I often say to myself (and others standing near!) that 'we exist FOR Him, and not vice versa!'
    But oh how HUMAN of us to only turn to Him daily when we have troubles or 'need' something, seeing Him more as a kind old grandfather in the sky rather than the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords who is worthy of our full attention and affection and service.
    You do not mince words (I love it!) about the mediocrity of the Christian community...the visible church. It is very sad! And greives my heart daily. My OWN tendency toward mediocrity also greives my heart! Romans 7 is such a reality in my life!
    But I do hope and pray that others could recognize me as a believer in Jesus Christ......Oh , Lord, help!
    I am thankful that it is apparently NOT up to us to be the only light that people will see to come to the Lord for salvation. He apparently (?) is getting the job done despite us! Glory! (one of your favorite words!) He IS seeking and saving the lost! Indeed it is a privilege when He uses us (or rather let's us in on it!) but I am grateful that I can rest in that fact that all through history (the Old Testament) God is accomplishing His perfect and Holy will even when it 'seems' all is lost.

    So be enCOURAGEd, dear sister in the faith...
    I believe (have to believe!) that God WILL ultimately sanctify those who are His...Remember, sadly, that the wheat and weeds grow up together......

    May the Lord bless you and your wonderful family as you continue to be faithful to God's commands in Matthew 25 and James 1 to minister to the poor and needy. Your devotion is inspiring and spurs ME on today to 'love and good deeds'.

    For Him,
    Mrs. (Aunt Julie) Cochran


    Matthew 25:40 and James 1:27 are so important! That is what it means to serve. And that is what I want to become. I want to be known.......as a servant.

    ReplyDelete